Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Paradigm Shift: Open Space Online

I have come a long way this week. A reluctant online networker, I joined Facebook and Linked-In this summer to get ready for school and explore life from a Gen Y perspective. I even started a blog, but didn't do much posting. I have to admit, I was hooked by Facebook, but I was still not seeing the educational or the business purpose, but this week, after joining ilearn, starting my blog, and viewing the wiki video, I think I felt my paradigm shift. 

Long frustrated by the silo mentality of City government, I am starting to thinking about a few applications. Trainers across the City meet formally only once a year for an open space forum, where we bring up topics that we want to discuss. The open space forum is basically a well organized free-for-all. Those who have a topic may lead. Those who want to join a discussion can. Those who want to, can float from discussion to discussion. Those who want to carry on discussion or work after the forum, may do so. The right people who are supposed to be there are there. Does this sound familiar?

Last year, I led a topic re: my concerns about the need for a forum that could work on a continuing basis. Some people were interested, but no one was committed.  And truthfully, I had no solutions. How about this for a solution? Open space online? I like it. 

No comments: