Thursday, September 11, 2008

Connectivism and Siemens Part 2

In George Siemens article from the 2006 global summit, he outlines his definition of his connectivist theory. He calls it chaotic, continual, complex. He also says that "no single entity can know all the required elements". When I first read Siemens last week, I was struggling with the role of the instructor in this world, and I started to feel that in the connectivist world, maybe the role of the instructor or trainer would be diminished, but after reading further about this theory, I feel the opposite is true. Now more than ever, I think it will be important for the instructors to help their students make sense of the "messy chaotic" world. It will be their role to continue to help students analyze, organize, and make sense of all the content that is available. Perhaps now more than ever the "basic" skills will be important.

1 comment:

ITEC Gord said...

I agree that the role of the instructor will become one of helping students find their way through a chaotic messy world. But instructors will have to find their own way through the mess first. I think professional organizations and trusted data/publication clearinghouses will become increasingly important as instructors struggle with this issue.